Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Salt of the Earth" - a movie every photographer should see  (Read 1182 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com

Last night my wife and I saw "Salt of the Earth". It tells the life story of photographer Sebastiao Salgado's through his photographs and the experiences behind them, from genocide to environment. It's well done and unforgettable. I'd highly recommend it to anyone, especially any photographer. A synopsis from the web says "For the last 40 years, the photographer SebastiĆ£o Salgado has been travelling through the continents, in the footsteps of an ever-changing humanity. He has witnessed some of the major events of our recent history; international conflicts, starvation and exodus. He is now embarking on the discovery of pristine territories, of wild fauna and flora, and of grandiose landscapes as part of a huge photographic project which is a tribute to the planet's beauty".

To see some of his work look here.
- Dean

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
Re: "Salt of the Earth" - a movie every photographer should see
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:06:06 am »

Reading the title of this thread reminded me of the greatest photography documentary I've ever seen (I haven't actually seen that many photography documentaries) - Salt.  Murray Fredericks travels the world and photographs bleak and desolate landscapes.  Incredible footage and music in the movie.  Filmed on a salt lake in central Australia.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:11:49 am »

+1! You will not be sorry if you do.  :)

Got a chance to watch this one a few weeks ago in our local movietheatre, it's just such a wonderful, endearing, exciting documentary, it has a wonderful pace and did bring tears to my eyes during a few moments where mr. Salgado talked (or rather tried to talk) about the dark, brutal and literally inhumane traits of mankind he came across and documented.

Come to think of it, I might watch it again very very soon.

Regards, Sander

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:10 am »

I'd highly recommend it to anyone, especially any photographer.
+1
I just saw it last weekend. Very powerful and stunning photography.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:18:03 am »

Jaw-dropping on the big screen. I am going to see it again before it leaves town. 27" screen at home just isn't the same.

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:32:45 am »

Dean, thanks for reminding me.  My neighbors commented very favorably about the documentary too.

I had wanted to download it from iTunes - which I just started now.  Sadly, it's only offered in German language in Germany.  :(  Can't wait to watch the film!
Pages: [1]   Go Up