Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed up Adobe Camera Raw?  (Read 13324 times)

AlterEgo

Re: Speed up Adobe Camera Raw?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »

Are you talking about performance problems with slow GPUs?
no, my GPU is not slow, dear... the mere fact that yours is faster does not make my slow - for example the best GPU-wise MacBookPro has GT 750M = http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-870M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M vs my notebook GPU... so your point was what ?

PS: about big organization and releases ("... but no shop will release a product that the know is not ready....") - you know what happened with HealthCare.gov when it launched  ;) ? and it was not developed by a small mom&pop shop like LuLa was...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:29:22 pm by AlterEgo »

jrsforums

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:40 pm »

no, my GPU is not slow, dear... the mere fact that yours is faster does not make my slow - for example the best GPU-wise MacBookPro has GT 750M = http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-870M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M vs my notebook GPU... so your point was what ?

PS: about big organization and releases ("... but no shop will release a product that the know is not ready....") - you know what happened with HealthCare.gov when it launched  ;) ? and it was not developed by a small mom&pop shop like LuLa was...

My point was.....

- your GPU is slow.  Eric was clear that current (~2 years) 700 or 900 series GPU was required.  "M" versions were not included in his statement.....they are lower performance laptop models....slowed down to reduce heat.

- more than the GPU enters into overall performance, as I am sure you are aware.  All the other components are involved.  Laptops are not speed demons nor are spinning 2.5" disks.

- I am sure you are aware that healthcare.gov was a last minute crash project due to the unexpected actions of many states.  You cannot compare that to a planned project like LR 6.

- naive??  What is your experience in large company product and development management? I suspect little.

- if Adobe is guilty of anything, I believe it may be in not setting proper expectations of where and on what hardware the value of the GPU code would bring immediate results.  Eric has tried to clarify some of that.  I suspect that the base they are building will be currently valuable to people who now have the hardware to support it, but more importantly, will be value able to many as higher performance systems, including laptops, roll out over the next few years.
John

stamper

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:48 am »

You are comparing apples and oranges. 

If you like FRV, fine. 

BTW....are you comparing the image to image or zoom in/out of the develop module (which is where the new code is) or in the library module?  Isn't FRV closer to the library.....I don't think it allows raw processing, other than viewing.....if it does, $15 is a great deal for a raw converter. 😀

FRV is not a raw converter. There is a clue in the name. fast raw VIEWER.

jrsforums

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 05:01:46 am »

I understood that, which is why I said you were comparing apples and oranges.

BTW...I am not saying FRV doesn't have value.  It has gotten good reviews and was written by the guys who did RawDigger.  Personally, it would not fit into my current workflow, which is to import into LR before doing any image culling or selection.  Once imported into the LR database, XMP updates should be made in LR.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:14:06 am by jrsforums »
John

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:16 pm »

no, that is not the core problem - the core problem that even with supported GPU/drivers the performance is horrible vs what it should be, based on how some other GPU enabled applications are doing...

I actually have pretty darned good Lr performance, even with a 4K screen; certainly usable.

However, I found that AutoPano demanded a graphic upgrade:

I upgraded my display to an NEC PA322UHD 4K one. AutoPano Giga 4.0 became painfully slow, especially the editing window. I downsized the window and that helped, but not much. Then, to get 60Hz refresh on my new monitor, I upgraded the graphics adapter from an AMD V4900 to an AMD W5000. Then I tried to stitch again. What a difference! It’s now much faster than it was before going to the 4K display. This is not a super high end GPU, but it sure makes a difference!

Configuration: Win 7 x64, 2x Hexcore Xeons @ 3.33 GHz, 256GB RAM, 192 GB used by OS, 128 GB used by AutoPano. W5000: 2 GB, GDDR5, 800MHz memory clock. This is a workstation-grade configuration.

Jim

AlterEgo

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 09:59:23 am »

I actually have pretty darned good Lr performance, even with a 4K screen; certainly usable.

again - there is a difference between "usable" and how it should be, I always call to compare with FRV on a regular notebook that a photographer might be using as an example how fast the code can work when done properly (that is not when it is not rushed to be released by a certain date)

AlterEgo

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:24 am »

dear, dear... first of all to display the image FRV does raw conversion (did you ever try to think what raw conversion actually is ? do you really think that FRV is displaying an undemosaicked, non whitebalanced image and w/o color transforms applied...) and then I am talking about a simple zoom in/zoom out of the data post raw conversion in both cases... just try to think a little bit... not about speed of demosaick - just about a very simple thing - zoom in/zoom out of the image which is already rendered (so no time is actually necessary to rerender the whole thing - just scale up or down)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:19:16 am by AlterEgo »

AlterEgo

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 10:10:46 am »

My point was.....

- your GPU is slow.  Eric was clear that current (~2 years) 700 or 900 series GPU was required.  "M" versions were not included in his statement.....they are lower performance laptop models....slowed down to reduce heat.

poor Eric is doing a damage control in forums instead of the people who forced the release, that's it... I am running ACR, C1, FRV to name a few on the same hardware and I can clearly see the difference in simple operations between ACR and what PhaseOne many developers or _just one_ coder in FRV case can do... ACR/LR GPU code is simply not done yet as it can be done  ;D ... more so along the way Adobe managed to slow down operations with GPU off too... so the slogan of the day is (according to your interpretation of what Eric allegedly tries to say) - "dear photograpers, your new shiny MacbookPros in their best configurations are no good and never will be to run our LR/ACR, sorry... please ask Apple to shove desktop grade GPUs inside their tiny shells  ;D ;D ;D:

- I am sure you are aware that healthcare.gov was a last minute crash project due to the unexpected actions of many states.  You cannot compare that to a planned project like LR 6.

I am referring to some clueless generalizations about "... but no shop will release a product that the know is not ready...." (c) one great expert ...

- naive??  What is your experience in large company product and development management? I suspect little.

I suspect that the above says that your certainly miniscule... or you can consider a lesser fiascos like MS Vista ... you again simple fail to comprehend that "not ready" is not the same as "100% BSOD"

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:15:29 am by AlterEgo »

jrsforums

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:44 am »

dear, dear... first of all to display the image FRV does raw conversion (did you ever try to think what raw conversion actually is ? do you really think that FRV is displaying an undemosaicked, non whitebalanced image and w/o color transforms applied...) and then I am talking about a simple zoom in/zoom out of the data post raw conversion in both cases... just try to think a little bit... not about speed of demosaick - just about a very simple thing - zoom in/zoom out of the image which is already rendered (so no time is actually necessary to rerender the whole thing - just scale up or down)

The library module does not "re render".

The develop module does as it needs to include any possible changes that may have been made to the sliders.  Using DNG or SSD on raw cache will speed that up.

I assumed you were talking about the develop module as you were complaining about the new code.  That is why the apples to oranges comment.
John

stamper

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 03:58:12 am »

I think you are being obtuse and you know fine well what I mean. The image doesn't get converted to TIFF, jpeg of DNG. If you open an image in FR no changes are permanently made to the image when it is closed. :(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up