Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Light Meters  (Read 4800 times)

svaughan

New to Light Meters
« on: February 05, 2006, 01:31:36 pm »

Bought a light meter Minolta IIIF, and trying to learn the best ways to use it. Plan on using it by reading incident light for Macro Shot's, and then some with Fill Flash for Portrait.

Reading the manual don't quite understand ambient vs incident. When would I use ambient and how would I do the reading pointing the meter at the subject or at the camera from the subject?

Also, when would I use the diffuser, it doesn't seem to work well when reading flash inside, but the manual suggests it.

Never used one of these things before, and I am not exactly an experienced photographer, just do it for a hobby but trying to learn.

Any help is appreciated.  slv.

francois

New to Light Meters
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 02:03:37 pm »

Bought a light meter Minolta IIIF, and trying to learn the best ways to use it. Plan on using it by reading incident light for Macro Shot's, and then some with Fill Flash for Portrait.

Reading the manual don't quite understand ambient vs incident. When would I use ambient and how would I do the reading pointing the meter at the subject or at the camera from the subject?

Also, when would I use the diffuser, it doesn't seem to work well when reading flash inside, but the manual suggests it.

Never used one of these things before, and I am not exactly an experienced photographer, just do it for a hobby but trying to learn.

Any help is appreciated.  slv.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You will find some good information on this site [a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/l-608.shtml#Tutorial]here[/url].
Francois

svaughan

New to Light Meters
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 02:43:27 pm »

You will find some good information on this site here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the Tip, I use luminous landscape quite often to get information. From what I read, Incident light is a better measurement. But still wonder what is this ambient light reading the manual talks about, and how and when would I use it. Or should I just stick with Incident reading?

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
New to Light Meters
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 05:32:00 pm »

Incident refers to a measurement of the light falling on a subject (as opposed to reflecting off of it). This then refers to how the measurment is taken.

Ambient refers to available light before you augment it with flash or other means. This then refers to where the light is coming from.

They really are two different concepts.

You use the sphere/disc to measure incident light, regardless of whether it is ambient or added (via flash/floods/reflectors) by the photographer.

In general, if you can physically reach your subject in stable lighting conditions, incident metering provides a more accurate starting point for the average exposure needed.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 05:39:51 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

svaughan

New to Light Meters
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 06:16:04 pm »

Thanks for your reply Bob. I understand a bit more from your explanation. Today I did some testing outside in different lighting conditions. I get a good histogram using the incident readings.

I was trying to figure out the best way to get good readings when using fill flash. The meter I have Minolta IIIF, the manual say's set the ASA first, then set the shutter speed. Then I set it in flash mode for either 60 or 250, which ever is closes to my camera's sync speed. (by the way, in flash mode, I can read ambient then flash and see the difference in the f scale)

Here is my question, I can't find my camera synch speed in the manual, so I set the camera on auto and shot indoors with the flash. It shot at either 30 or 60 sec on the shutter, so is 60 my synch speed? I have a Sony F828.

My Next question and I'll quit asking, how does the meter work in this case? I set ASA say to 100, and shutter 250 on the meter, then set it to flash setting 60, then read from that, or do I set it to flash setting 250 and read from that? I don't understand the 60 and 250 reading?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am new to metering as you may very well tell.   slv.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
New to Light Meters
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 07:52:18 pm »

Thanks for your reply Bob. I understand a bit more from your explanation. Today I did some testing outside in different lighting conditions. I get a good histogram using the incident readings.

I was trying to figure out the best way to get good readings when using fill flash. The meter I have Minolta IIIF, the manual say's set the ASA first, then set the shutter speed. Then I set it in flash mode for either 60 or 250, which ever is closes to my camera's sync speed. (by the way, in flash mode, I can read ambient then flash and see the difference in the f scale)

Here is my question, I can't find my camera synch speed in the manual, so I set the camera on auto and shot indoors with the flash. It shot at either 30 or 60 sec on the shutter, so is 60 my synch speed? I have a Sony F828.

My Next question and I'll quit asking, how does the meter work in this case? I set ASA say to 100, and shutter 250 on the meter, then set it to flash setting 60, then read from that, or do I set it to flash setting 250 and read from that? I don't understand the 60 and 250 reading?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am new to metering as you may very well tell.   slv.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You sort of have a lot going on there. I suggest you set the camera to manual if you are using a handheld meter.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
New to Light Meters
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 09:54:01 pm »

Your camera may not have a sync speed.

For you reading, select the shutter speed you will use for the exposure. Some meters measure both flash and amibient light to determine the aperture.

svaughan

New to Light Meters
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 07:17:04 am »

Your camera may not have a sync speed.

For you reading, select the shutter speed you will use for the exposure. Some meters measure both flash and amibient light to determine the aperture.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was wondering that. As Bob suggested I am shooting in manual mode on the camera, so couldn't see how synch speed played into the picture. What I did do, was set my film and shutter speed, then set the meter on 60 or 250 depending on what I am starting with on my shutter. I am not quite convienced yet, this is best way to read. I'll do more reading and tests to see if I can figure it out.
Thanks slv.
Pages: [1]   Go Up