Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are Epson Driver Presets saved?  (Read 2177 times)

Garnick

Where are Epson Driver Presets saved?
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:58 pm »

Hello all,

I'm trying to retrieve a couple of presets for the driver and I cannot remember where they are saved.  I assume it would be somewhere in the System folder(Mac), but can't seem to find anything there yet.  Perhaps Library, but haven't found them there either.  As I recall, it was a somewhat hidden location, buried in the bowels of the OS.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
Re: Where are Epson Driver Presets saved?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:14:18 am »

I didn't know either, so I ran the system utility fs_usage while creating a preset.

It wrote to /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.Epson_Stylus_Pro_3880.plist

This file is a binary plist format. If you need to see what's in there or edit it, you can use the command line utility plutil.

Hope this gives you enough clues to proceed.

-Paul

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:46:06 pm »

Thank you for this Paul, much appreciated.  When I located the file I remembered being there before, but it's been a long time.  I've been experiencing some computer issues for the past week+, so I've been operating from one of my Boot Clones.  With all of this nonsense I seem to have lost a couple of my presets, so today I've been trying to create a new preset for canvas.  Usually not a big deal, but for some reason it just isn't working.  I checked back on my Boot Clone drive and noticed that the presets file there is dated April 23rd.  At that time I think everything was working well, at least as far as driver presets is concerned.  I have an idea that might work and I'd like your opinion.  If I were to copy the current preset file and lockfile from today and save them in a secure location, then replace them with the ones form Apr23rd, do you think that might work?  If not I could simply replace those older files with the ones dated today.  Seems that might be an alternative and hopefully a fix, not  sure.  So again, thanks for the direction and I'll look for your next reply if possible.

Also, I'm not familiar with the system utility "fs_usage".  Please enlighten me.

Gary
Gary N.

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:47 pm »

Yes I think that has a good chance of working. I don't know what you'll need to do to get the driver to notice the updated file; maybe reboot.

fs_usage is a command-line program that comes with Mac OS X. It gives you a way to peek at what file actions are being done by any or all programs running in the system. Open Terminal and say "man fs_usage" for all the details.

-Paul

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »

Yes, definitely a reboot I would think.  That's what I had planned on.  If I can find a way to actually save these new presets I have to build I won't bother trying this procedure, but so far not much luck I'm afraid.  The computer issue has played havoc with a number of things, but since I do a lot of printing, it's a pain there. It doesn't seem to affect the custom paper sizes, which I have a lot of, just building new presets.  Also, thanks for the info on "fs_usage", I'll give that a try when I have some time.

Gary
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up