Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add your LR 7 feature requests  (Read 34774 times)

dreed

Re: Add your LR 7 feature requests
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2015, 07:35:31 pm »

"Working properly" isn't usually a simple binary thing and you're only pointing to specific cases where you have hit limitations. I'd almost dismiss your HDR comment as a case of the photographer not working properly, but because of your other comment I just tested a 13 frame panorama with waves and was surprised by how little correction it needed. Blanket statements like "If you have waves then Lr can't deal with that at all." are just hype, simply misleading.

Ah huh. Just hype and misleading. I wish that were true and its ability to stitch panoramas didn't fail.

But faced with a very simple skyline to stitch (dark outline of boats, piers, buildings) against a bright sky, both Lr and ACR fail to stitch it up correctly. So either the skyline is too difficult for Lr/ACR or it cannot handle the waves. As it has worked in one instance with long exposures that negate wave movement my conclusion is that waves disrupt its matching algorithm.

If PTGui can match up the shots, why can't Lr/ACR?

rdonson

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2015, 09:46:02 pm »

Seems Adobe got both pretty wrong in this release. You can't go back and revisit to continue face detection after the first pass. WTF we're they thinking? GPU is just filled with bugs! Many, myself included find the product faster with GPU off. Then there's the severe issue with RGB numbers being just flat out wrong between 5.7 and 6 and color issues with GPU when on in terms of 1:1 develop updating. A real mess.

Amen, Andrew. 

The GPU anti performance switch was useful.  Absolutely necessary for me to turn it off as well.  I'm just glad it was easy to find.

Wish list:
- Performance
- Performance
- Performance

Building Standard Previews on my machine is painfully slow with Lr CC. 
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2015, 04:43:31 am »

Ah huh. Just hype and misleading. I wish that were true and its ability to stitch panoramas didn't fail.

But faced with a very simple skyline to stitch (dark outline of boats, piers, buildings) against a bright sky, both Lr and ACR fail to stitch it up correctly. So either the skyline is too difficult for Lr/ACR or it cannot handle the waves. As it has worked in one instance with long exposures that negate wave movement my conclusion is that waves disrupt its matching algorithm.

If PTGui can match up the shots, why can't Lr/ACR?

I'd criticise other aspects of Merge - how it fails to transfer dust spot corrections to the merged image, the failure to provide searchable metadata more robust than the file name, for instance.

Who knows why PTGui does a better job with some of your pictures? I've thrown at Lr a lot of difficult panoramas, some where I've used a wider lens or overlapped less conservatively than normal, some with buildings, inside and out, trees sticking up and diagonally, waves and clouds. Yes, I have odd ones that disappoint, but Lr's merging performance seems about on par with other apps and roughly in line with expectations. So misleading hype does seem a fair way to describe your statements.

dreed

« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2015, 08:07:09 am »

Who knows why PTGui does a better job with some of your pictures?

PTGui gives you visibility into how it joins images so it is possible to influence how it joins and what it uses to join photos. Lr and ACR, no. When I look at the images that Lr fails to join I'm left scratching my head thinking "WTF was so hard about that?!" Of course there are those where PTGui fails and so too does Lr (just try to build a panorama where the join is out at sea with no landmarks - colored clouds do not help there!) I'd put my hit rate at maybe 25%.

I've thrown at Lr a lot of difficult panoramas, some where I've used a wider lens or overlapped less conservatively than normal, some with buildings, inside and out, trees sticking up and diagonally, waves and clouds. Yes, I have odd ones that disappoint, but Lr's merging performance seems about on par with other apps and roughly in line with expectations.

I'm happy for you that you are satisfied with Lr and that your hit rate with panoramas is high.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2015, 09:19:57 am »

I'm happy for you that you are satisfied with Lr and that your hit rate with panoramas is high.

Not high, just normal. If you were representative of people's experience, wouldn't there be waves of complaints about the feature?

dreed

« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2015, 04:55:44 am »

Not high, just normal. If you were representative of people's experience, wouldn't there be waves of complaints about the feature?

If it were so good then why isn't this forum filled with praise and joy for it? You yourself have even mentioned that it is not trouble free.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2015, 05:37:16 am »

If it were so good then why isn't this forum filled with praise and joy for it? You yourself have even mentioned that it is not trouble free.

Simply, as with many things, those who are upset will make by far the most noise. But I am a bit surprised others haven't made the same complaint about dust spots - my point about metadata/searchability was something most people just never consider (though Hans did say something similar).

John

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:37 am »

Wish list:
- Performance
- Performance
- Performance

Building Standard Previews on my machine is painfully slow with Lr CC. 
LR has been slow for me since LR4.
Shame there isn't a decent alternative.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dreed

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2015, 10:15:51 am »

Simply, as with many things, those who are upset will make by far the most noise.

For better or worse, when I enter "lr6 panorama merge" into Google, an issue with Leica images is #1 search result.

Simply, as with many things, those who are upset will make by far the most noise. But I am a bit surprised others haven't made the same complaint about dust spots

You're expecting the wrong output.

The merge in Lr6 is no more capable than that in ACR and the merge in ACR only supports basic image changes, lens profile, etc.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:34 am »

Simply, as with many things, those who are upset will make by far the most noise.

Hi John,

I hope you are not suggesting that they do not have any valid issue/issues to complain about.

But I am a bit surprised others haven't made the same complaint about dust spots

Which is another valid issue. I believe (frankly I'm losing track a bit, so correct me if I'm wrong) the Chromatic aberration correction issue in Panoramas (the individual tiles are not corrected, making it impossible to do in the stitched result) was already mentioned. There is a Defringe, but no CA correction implemented.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2015, 11:00:44 am »

I'd criticise other aspects of Merge - how it fails to transfer dust spot corrections to the merged image, the failure to provide searchable metadata more robust than the file name, for instance.

Engineering's comments on the subject: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-6-photo-merge-doesnt-take-into-account-all-settings-applied-to-nef-files
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2015, 11:13:08 am »

For better or worse, when I enter "lr6 panorama merge" into Google, an issue with Leica images is #1 search result.
You're expecting the wrong output.
The merge in Lr6 is no more capable than that in ACR and the merge in ACR only supports basic image changes, lens profile, etc.

Yeah, Google just confirms what I said earlier - "Yeah, yeah, I can Google and find loads of people on the interwebs have problem X, and yeah I too can extrapolate that into some existential crisis..."

As for dust spots, I don't define the right output as being results from LR that are no better than ACR. AutoSync makes it much more efficient to correct identical spots on multiple frames before merger than afterwards when you'll have to correct the same spots each time they appear again on the merged image.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:15:38 am by john beardsworth »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2015, 11:13:59 am »

I hope you are not suggesting that they do not have any valid issue/issues to complain about.

No, but that's the nature of these things, isn't it? What have the Romans ever done for us, apart from...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2015, 03:51:51 pm »

As for dust spots, I don't define the right output as being results from LR that are no better than ACR. AutoSync makes it much more efficient to correct identical spots on multiple frames before merger than afterwards when you'll have to correct the same spots each time they appear again on the merged image.

Kevin and I interviewed Eric via Skype today. With regards to not including healing spots in Pano Merge, he said it was an oversight...it sounds like it's something they will address in the future :~)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2015, 04:03:57 pm »

Kevin and I interviewed Eric via Skype today. With regards to not including healing spots in Pano Merge, he said it was an oversight...it sounds like it's something they will address in the future :~)

Thanks, that is interesting news, Jeff. Let's hope they do so.

bassman51

« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2015, 07:55:17 pm »

Allow any collection - Smart or otherwise - to be sync'd to LR Mobile. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up