Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Add your LR 7 feature requests  (Read 34966 times)

ButchM

Re: Add your LR 7 feature requests
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »

There were quite a few good requests in the LR6 wish list thread.

That's why it is important to create a wish list early as poosible ... the longer we delay expressing our desires, the longer it takes to convince the powers that be the features we would like to see developed are worthy of effort and inclusion.

Observing a grace period after a new release (that we know already doesn't offer the features we'd like to see included) only sets back the effort longer ... as it is quite likely the goals, priorities and desired schedule for completion  for the team's work on Lr 7 were at least partially to mostly set before Lr 6 was released. They look forward. Shouldn't we?

Anything truely new requested now will not likely be considered for the next iteration. Hoding back ideas, suggestions and "wishes" ... would just further delay the possibility of inclusion.

Which is why I find it curious that some users seem to experience discomfort with the conversation or how they would benefit from our silence on the matter.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2015, 12:07:57 pm »

That's why it is important to create a wish list early as poosible ... the longer we delay expressing our desires, the longer it takes to convince the powers that be the features we would like to see developed are worthy of effort and inclusion.
I seriously doubt we are doing anything of the kind. The Adobe teams know what they will implement based on all kinds of data points important to them to hopefully sell more product. Much of the seriously cool features of LR were developed from ideas inside, not outside Adobe.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2015, 12:17:41 pm »

Much of the seriously cool features of LR were developed from ideas inside, not outside Adobe.

For example...
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Peter McLennan

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:37 pm »

Hi Peter,

I thought focus-stacking was already implemented in Photoshop's Photomerge since quite a while. Is it missing in LR6?

Cheers,
Bart

I don't see it. The only photo merge options are for the stitching geometry.  It's still in Photoshop, just not in LR6, unless I'm missing something.

ButchM

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2015, 01:03:17 pm »

I seriously doubt we are doing anything of the kind. The Adobe teams know what they will implement based on all kinds of data points important to them to hopefully sell more product.

Really? ... Then Tranberry's time and effort at the feedback forum is a total sleight of hand operation, as far as future development is concerned? If so, what a waste of time and resources.

I would hope at least a very small portion of the "data points" considered are actual feedback from end users. If not, that confirms that many opinions on Adobe's corporate attitude really isn't FUD after all.

Much of the seriously cool features of LR were developed from ideas inside, not outside Adobe.

Unless you consider it took 5 years to once again make it possible to add more than one audio track to a slideshow and 8 years to finally add a rudimentary pan and zoom option (even though there is still only one transition style to choose from and no timeline control whatsoever ... heck, there are a number of $1.99 iPad apps that offer more features and creativity) ... or ...  that after three full version cycles, we still can't create custom page sizes in the book module. I guess my "cool" meter measures differently.

Yes, the team did a good job initially ... though, there has been considerably less in the "cool" column of late. Especially considering much of the "new" features in Lr is almost always a carbon copy of what is new in Ps (ACR) ... in fact ... go back and compare Terry White's Top 5 favorite new features in Ps CC (2013) and his Top 5 Favorite new Features in Lr 5 ... the lists were nearly identical.

I realize that the lion's share of development in Lr take place in the Develop module ... I would like to see the same level of attention and refinement take place in the other modules ... certainly the team is aware that those areas deserve some coolness applied to those modules. If they are not aware ... then they are certainly paying too much attention to their own thoughts and indeed are ignoring the folks that support them financially.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2015, 01:48:48 pm »

For example...
Histogram update of tones while moving sliders, scrubby sliders (from PS), interactive HSL by sliding, various clipping overlays and masks for sharpening with option key.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »

Histogram update of tones while moving sliders, scrubby sliders (from PS), interactive HSL by sliding, various clipping overlays and masks for sharpening with option key.

Ah, those are good ones.  I think what draws me to adobe software is the general attention to detail on the UI and performance/stability. 

I think if I could choose only one feature request it would be to create a comprehensive SDK, including ability to add to the rendering pipeline.  I find Adobe's pace of feature development somewhat glacial.  OTOH they don't have a very good rep for SDK maintenance.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2015, 03:29:01 pm »

There were quite a few good requests in the LR6 wish list thread.   AFAIK, pretty well none of them were implemented.

Are we spinning our wheels?  Just wondering (and not going to repeat the same requests).

Two of the headline features, face recognition and GPU acceleration, were among the top most requested features on Adobe's feature request forum.

ButchM

« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »

Two of the headline features, face recognition and GPU acceleration, were among the top most requested features on Adobe's feature request forum.

Agreed ... though it should be pointed out, facial recognition, GPU and multiprocessor requests officially began on that site over four years ago ... these items were not added to the fray instantaneously upon request ... hence my point of it takes time to get such items on the team's To Do list.

Simply requesting an item for the very next iteration doesn't mean that it has been researched, approved and budgeted for the next scheduled release. Which confirms my estimation ... it's never too early to make such requests.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

My offerings are incorrect facts or spurious comments and you only contribute innocuous opinion??? That's classic  :D
Impressive misreading. Maybe that's how you come by your 'facts'.

Your opinions don't bother me ... never an issue. Your compulsion to be the self appointed arbitor of determinging what I offer is incorrect "facts" is becoming an endless source of amusement.
No compulsion, no arbitration, however a lot of paranoia on your part though it seems.  ::)  Heck don't recall that I'd even interacted with you on LuLa before.

Here's a thought, why not debate the points being discussed instead of resorting to personal attacks?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Mac Mahon

« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2015, 05:03:29 am »

+1 - esp. the masks for sharpening

+ ability to 'nudge' cells in custom print layout

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:13:31 am by Mac Mahon »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2015, 10:23:26 am »

Seems Adobe got both pretty wrong in this release. You can't go back and revisit to continue face detection after the first pass. WTF we're they thinking? GPU is just filled with bugs! Many, myself included find the product faster with GPU off. Then there's the severe issue with RGB numbers being just flat out wrong between 5.7 and 6 and color issues with GPU when on in terms of 1:1 develop updating. A real mess.

dreed

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2015, 09:09:13 am »

At present my wishlist for Lr7 is simple:

* make all of the new features in Lr6 work properly.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:59 am »

At present my wishlist for Lr7 is simple:
* make all of the new features in Lr6 work properly.

For every single person who uses the program? Never going to happen - and why try?

dreed

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2015, 06:26:22 pm »

For every single person who uses the program? Never going to happen - and why try?

Because they take pride in their work?
Then again if Adobe just creates new features, tosses it out there and goes on to the next shiny, well...

What good is a feature if it only works "some of the time"?

If I can't rely on feature X to consistently work, why would I buy a new version of it in the future? Just to get more buggy features that only work some of the time?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:37 am »

Because they take pride in their work?
Then again if Adobe just creates new features, tosses it out there and goes on to the next shiny, well...
What good is a feature if it only works "some of the time"?
If I can't rely on feature X to consistently work, why would I buy a new version of it in the future? Just to get more buggy features that only work some of the time?

So you don't think they have pride in their work, or want to get new features right? Sure, there are things that could be more polished, details that are better-realised, but in general new features do work consistently and are only buggy in a small minority of cases. Yeah, yeah, I can Google and find loads of people on the interwebs have problem X, and yeah I too can extrapolate that into some existential crisis...

hjulenissen

« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2015, 03:54:13 am »

The Adobe people knows what makes sense to improve from the standpoint of inside knowledge. Knowing that the image processing pipeline works this way or another, a certain feature might be trivial to implement or near impossible to implement (well). They also have general knowledge from knowing image processing, cpu architectures etc (that they to some degree share with their competitors, but not necessarily with most of their customers).

The Lightroom customers knows what makes sense to them individually. Collectively, they make up a far larger group of Lightroom users than there are developers or beta testers inside Adobe. Thus, one might expect them to be a better estimate of "what annoys current Lightroom users", "what lacking features make them launch external editors" etc. There are some issues with estimating the true collective sentiment (as opposed to only the most vocal forum users).

UI/conceptually, I think that the new HDR/pano feature is somewhat clunky for a non-destructive editor. I would prefer grouping a number of source images (manually and/or automagically based on EXIF), then going directly into "develop" to do tonemapping etc (perhaps add a little grouping-dependent fane in develop for how multiple images are dynamically combined). If (at any point) I chose to add or remove images from the stack, the view in the develop module would simply update. I am sure that there are technical reasons why they do it this way, but hey, I am not paid to write their code :-). Being able to do any mix of HDR/pano/focus stacking in one take would also be sweet.

-h
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:56:44 am by hjulenissen »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2015, 06:06:12 pm »

A simple one. Relatively speaking as I believe it's basically a macro tweak.
When opening into photoshop being able to open as Smart Objects into Layers would be really handy. Currently one can do one or the other, but not both, so now if I want several images placed into separate layers in a file as smart objects I have to open them all as SOs and then manually place them in one file.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dreed

« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:32 pm »

So you don't think they have pride in their work, or want to get new features right? Sure, there are things that could be more polished, details that are better-realised, but in general new features do work consistently and are only buggy in a small minority of cases. Yeah, yeah, I can Google and find loads of people on the interwebs have problem X, and yeah I too can extrapolate that into some existential crisis...

"Only buggy in a small minority of cases"? Where do you pull that from?

In HDR merge, there is a complete lack of ability to deal with a bright shiney thing (such as a moon or sun) moving. Is it rare to want to take a HDR shot with either the sun or moon in frame?

In panorama mode, standing close to something that goes away from you in a straight line (such as a jetty) seems to throw off merging. If you have waves then Lr can't deal with that at all. These aren't minority cases - well they may seem to be if you live in a land locked city but on the coast, no.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2015, 03:03:46 am »

"Working properly" isn't usually a simple binary thing and you're only pointing to specific cases where you have hit limitations. I'd almost dismiss your HDR comment as a case of the photographer not working properly, but because of your other comment I just tested a 13 frame panorama with waves and was surprised by how little correction it needed. Blanket statements like "If you have waves then Lr can't deal with that at all." are just hype, simply misleading.

While I take issue with your "working properly", I think there is a case for wanting the emphasis of future versions to be on making existing features work better and not wanting new ones, but that's never going to happen either.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:12:02 am by john beardsworth »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up