Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Add your LR 7 feature requests  (Read 34972 times)

smahn

Add your LR 7 feature requests
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:29:13 pm »

1. Live view tethering, so I don't have to use 3rd party offerings and watched folders.

2. Do for focus stacking what you've done for HDR and Panos.

3. Creative Sharpening, or whatever you want to call it. Programs like C1 and Photo Ninja offer much better micro contrast, structure and detail enhancement without introducing nearly as much Detail grunge as LR. Even with additional USM and Smart Sharpening in PS I can't match what these programs do at the raw stage.

4. The modular nature of LR is a real boondoggle for keystroke users, esp between the library and develop module. For instance, to have to return to the library module to open a stack in Develop, and then return to the develop module (3 keystrokes rather than 1) is just absurd and indefensible. The engineers may like it, for reasons I can't imagine, but please let the users override their logic with custom assigned keystrokes than transcend modules.

I'll probably have moved to C1 by the time any of these are implemented, but that's not saying I wont come back.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:56:49 pm by smahn »

smahn

Re: LR 7 feature requests
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 02:48:09 pm »

Feel free to add on your own.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:11:44 pm »

All sound good to me.
Even simple stuff; Print to TIFF from Print Module. Export CMYK.
Better soft proofing (make OOG overlay work for the 21st century).
This time, faster in Library. Try FastRawViewer then Library grid in LR. Painful.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:35:36 pm »

Content aware brush, a feature request since 2011 ( http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_more_photoshop_like_clone_healing_brushes_in_lightroom ).

The develop module in LR6 got exactly 1 (one) new feature - brush editing radial/graduated filter.

Fernando García

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 03:47:47 pm »

3. Creative Sharpening, or whatever you want to call it. [...] better micro contrast, structure and detail enhancement

+1

It may be picky, but, as someone suggested in this forum, a "masking" slider in the Noise reduction area would be welcome.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »

Library module

Allow larger number of keywords in sets.
Have a 'single click' method to apply a set of keywords

Develop

Full range of options in brush adjustments (HSL, blacks etc).
3 way colour balance control (like Capture One, but based on colour temperature)
User definable overlay colours for masks ( as in ACR)

Book

Fully customisable layouts for both photos and text boxes (Blurb's free Book Smart software manages this, why can't LR ?)
User definable page sizes to allow DIY book printing

Print

The ability to place a text box anywhere on the page with any text in it.

Import

Ability to access keyword sets and application actions as requested above.

Global history/log

A log of what actions are taken across all modules with undo options where possible.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Add your LR 7 feature requests
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »

The develop module in LR6 got exactly 1 (one) new feature - brush editing radial/graduated filter.
I regard the two photomerge features, panoramas and HDR to be develop module settings even if they can be implemented from the Library. They are Photoshop style image processing features, so more applicable to Dev module than any other in view of what they do. Quite a few other Dev module abilities can be implemented in Library module too.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:50:46 am »

I like the new HDR and Pano features, but was somewhat disappointed that there seems to be no relationship maintained in the catalog for which files are merged into either a HDR or Pano.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02:07 am »

The full set of basic (global) sliders available in the adjustment brushes/gradients.

An "invert" mask feature for adjustment brushes (like they have in the circular gradient tool).

ButchM

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:08:09 am »

Book

Fully customisable layouts for both photos and text boxes (Blurb's free Book Smart software manages this, why can't LR ?)
User definable page sizes to allow DIY book printing

Unfortunately, this shouldn't be a feature request for v7 ... it should have been Priority No. 1 before development of the Book module ever began.

This has been one of the top requests since the Book module was introduced in v4. I first made such a request after waiting, waiting and waiting some more for a promised workaround ... that was then deemed too difficult to share. The obvious solution is it should have been implemented from the beginning and not treated as an afterthought and continually ignored.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/hey_kevin_t_where_is_the_ability_to_create_custom_page_sizes_for_lr_book_module

To my knowledge, The Book module is the single software solution in the Adobe Realm that still will not allow the end user to establish custom document dimensions. Also, I am not aware of any other Adobe offering that is tied so tightly to a single third party vendor. The whole situation lacks logic and severely restricts the end result. It should have never been implemented in this manner. Adobe's refusal to address this thus far is completely and utterly irresponsible and their continued lack of attention to address this issue garners little to any confidence that they will ever offer an answer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:10:21 am by ButchM »

Emile Gregoire

• My website
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 11:29:42 am »

All good suggestions.

I''ll add the use of tokens in metadata, both during and after importing. Look e.g. at Photo Mechanic to see how it's done.

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:16:40 pm »

Keyword editing with much more flexibility: Ability to edit a keyword structure outside of LR and import the modified structure without having duplicates then.

Kind regrards

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

Ann JS

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 01:54:35 pm »

Blurb have printed excellent results for me but the secret to getting the best quality from their service is NOT to use the consumer-level sRGB module in Lr.

If you go directly to Blurb's own web site, you can download InDesign templates for any of their products.

Then use InDesign to create any layout you like (using any fonts that you wish to); convert your RGB files to CMYK tiffs; and upload the entire book as a single PDF file directly to Blurb's server (with a second PDF file for the book's cover.)

The first time that I used them, I got them to print a single copy with the minimum page count but on the premium stock which I intended to use for the final production. I used that as a Press Colour Proof.

From the results, I could see that their printers lay down a heavy level of Black ink and dot-gain causes the shadows to block-up. I therefore created a correcting-curve which I use when making the CMYK separations so that the final printed books now closely match what I see on my monitor.

Working this way, you will not be disappointed with the results.

Unfortunately, the books that I have seen that were created through the simplified Consumer-level method with sRGB jpegs (the method used by Lr) have been less than stellar.

ButchM

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »

Blurb have printed excellent results for me but the secret to getting the best quality from their service is NOT to use the consumer-level sRGB module in Lr.

Personally I have no issue with Blurb or the products they produce. They simply do not offer books with cover options/materials or page dimensions I prefer to offer my clients.

I do not wish to conform my workflow to Blurb in any software option ... I want Lr (Adobe) to allow me to fit my traditional vendors into the paradigm. It was a conscious decision to restrict the Book module to a Blurb only option. Something Adobe never did in the past. My vendors should not have to go to Adobe and request admission, Adobe should allow users to create custom page sizes ... Period!

Would InDesign ever have sold so well if output was restricted to a single vendor? Would Photoshop be the world's top graphics solution if it too were so restricted? Think also if the Develop module would only process NEF and not Cr2 ... if the Print Module would only work with HP printers and not Epson? ... or if the Web module would only export galleries that would work with IE and not Safari, Chrome or Firefox? See what I mean?

I have been creating books/albums in InDesign since long before Lr was ever developed. (Page Maker and Quark Xpress before that) I work with five different printers/binders that offer the cover materials, paper options and finished results that separate my efforts form my competition. I see no reason to conform to another single vendor and sacrifice my standards just to fit in with Adobe's idea of how the world should be. Whether I use Lr or ID ... if we all order our books from Blurb ... what good is it?

The main reason I would prefer to utilize album/book making in Lightroom ... is it offers a much more streamlined workflow in that users don't have to create all those exported derivative files to use in ID or elsewhere ... much less housecleaning involved to keep track of images used. Eventually, I will not be able to use Aperture for such tasks and don't want to return to all that duplication of effort in exporting a mountain of files each month to layout a book. Anyone who has done this in Aperture vs InDesign can tell you how much easier it is and how much less work it involves. (Before you ask ... there are several plugins for Aperture that you can export/order a book from some of the top wedding/portrait album printer/binders from around the world ... as well as export pages/spreads as tiff, jpeg or pdf using fully custom layouts with fully custom page sizes, margins and bleeds that could be used by nearly any vendor you choose as long as you set these variables to the proper requirements. Apple offered this without request from the start. No begging, pleading or excuses.)

I pay multiple licensing fees for Lr (both CC and perpetual) I don't think it's too much to ask, as long as I am making a contribution to the cause and Adobe is going to include a Book module, that they take into consideration how restrictive their design is for the Book module is and address this discrepancy appropriately.

Glenn NK

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 04:16:54 pm »

The full set of basic (global) sliders available in the adjustment brushes/gradients.

An "invert" mask feature for adjustment brushes (like they have in the circular gradient tool).

These features seem to me to be very useful; and I think they were covered in the previous thread on the LR6 Wish List.  And the first was brought up by many users (including me).

I realize that HDR and Pano features can be very useful for some - my guess these were added in LR6 because Adobe thought they could keep people from buying software/plugins that are specific to these uses and thereby add to the revenue stream (there's nothing wrong with improving the bottom line, but when you start to appear arrogant, trouble is not far away).

It's as though they didn't listen to users, but went for some gimmicks that would attract buyers (like the auto companies do - a feature that warns you when you're too close to the car ahead - driving for dummies).

This is the first time that Adobe has annoyed me (can't use the term I'd like to), so I won't be "upgrading".  I didn't think I was a pessimistic person by nature, but Adobe seems to be working on it for me.
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 04:28:51 pm »

- Continue to put significant resources to improve performance in Lr - don't limit it to the Develop Module

- provide for backup of presets, configurations, etc. outside of the catalog - c'mon Adobe what's wrong with really taking advantage CC "Files"

- using the backup of presets, configurations, etc to CC Files make it easy to share them across computers
Regards,
Ron

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »

My point was it COULD/SHOULD be.

Yes, you can get great results using InDesign as part of a book creation workflow, but you'll still need a raw conversion programme at the very least to produce photo books. The trouble is whilst completely versatile, ID is fearsomely complex to understand and start using, plus getting the best photo results takes a huge amount of care and effort.
If the LR book module was as good as it should be, it could provide a simple route to perfectly resized, sharpened and proofed images for the content.

And why is it still tied to just one supplier ? (who provides a more versatile software package for free).

It remains a seriously under developed part of the program.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »

Ability to add captions/plates to print output which have more flexible layout options and the ability to use multiple fonts.

AFairley

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 08:36:17 am »

Improved demosaicing for Fujifilm X-Trans files (at least get rid of the high-contrast boundary haloing).

Reduce artifacting at high contrast boundaries at high amounts of shadows slider plus adjustments (all sensors).

lelouarn

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:40 am »

I'd like to be able to transition seemlessly LR between my desktop & laptop.
So, when I am leaving home, be able to sync all my LR settings to the cloud, and while on the road, be able to "download" all those settings to my laptop.
And by "settings" I mean presets, printer settings, export presets, everything ! Perhaps even the catalogue (with only smart previous of course).
I would have thought this is the obvious thing to do in a cloud oriented application. But no. Really missing that feature...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up