Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Monochrom  (Read 4423 times)

Krug

New Monochrom
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:42:42 am »

I am a little surprised that there has been no mention of the new Monochrom here  ...  or have I missed something ?

In the past this site has been always one of the most authoritative and analytical - and reliably informative - of resources on such new announcements.

I know there is a train of thought about "overpriced" and rather shallow comments about those who use Leicas and also justified views that other brands can now use higher pixel count sensors to get a lot out of many M lenses. But surely the new Monochrom is a genuinely interesting development worthy of serious analysis and comment from what I have always held to be the most sensible, serious and objectively informative camera/photography advice and discussion site.

Hopefully the response will be "coming next week".
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

BJL

New Monochrom: CCD vs CMOS redux
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:26:56 pm »

I look forward to another round of the CCD vs CMOS discussion, since with this new Monchrom model, Leica continues its move from (18MP) Kodak CCDs to (24MP) CMOSIS active pixel CMOS sensors.

Krug

Re: New Monochrom
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »

.... or even something a little more objective and informative ?
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »

.... or even something a little more objective and informative ?
What about being you the first in providing objective and informative information about the new release?

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:16:34 pm »

As someone who's broadly contemptuous of Leicas as status symbols & substitute phalluses…but who loves 'em as photographic tools, I'm looking forward to serious snappers giving the new Monochrom a thorough workout. My 2015 photo budget is such that if longer-term reports are positive I just might get one myself.

-Dave-

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:19:46 am »

I have the original MM. Absolutely love it. I was convinced I would keep it regardless of what the new one can do. But alas, I am intrigued.

With the Monochrom you have to be careful with highlights. As a result there are times when I which I could boost shadows a bit more without seeing banding. But is that a big enough issue for me to upgrade something that is not my primary tool? Probably not. At least not now.

Dave

BJL

New Monochrom, and what does/does not get reported and reviewed here
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:30:00 am »

I am a little surprised that there has been no mention of the new Monochrom here  ...  or have I missed something ?

In the past this site has been always one of the most authoritative and analytical - and reliably informative - of resources on such new announcements.
This site tends to carry articles about gear that is of sufficient interest to its owners and operators (Michael and now Ken?) that they go out and buy it, or actively acquire a review sample, or get a contribution from a colleague of theirs.  It has never been one to report on or even announce the release of every new model ("there's DPReview for that"), or to be on the list to receive review samples of every new release AFAIK.

So the lack of news and reviews in the updated Monochrom so far just tells me that neither Michael nor any of his main contributors have yet been motivated to acquire, test, and report on it.

I have not yet seen a review at any of the other careful review sites either.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:00:17 am by BJL »

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:23 am »

I recall reading an excellent review of it by Sean Reid last week.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 12:31:35 pm »

I believe Diglloyd has found out in practice that a 36mp camera delivers more quality with BW than the original MM with the additional benefit of choosing your BWfilter afterwards...
Also lensquality is a none issue. If you use for instance a Sony 7R you can choose the best lenses out there and have the best DR available. (and then you can shoot colour as well)
So why i wonder; why would one choose this Leica instead?

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:42:09 pm »

I believe Diglloyd has found out in practice that a 36mp camera delivers more quality with BW than the original MM with the additional benefit of choosing your BWfilter afterwards...

What do you mean by "quality?" Tonal resolution & gradation? From files that are interpolated from matrixed Bayer data to create color and then taffy-pulled again to create "filtered" monochrome? I still mostly use b&w film when I want monochrome photos, primarily due to dissatisfaction with the results of said interpolation & taffy pulling. Give me a 100mp CFA'd sensor I can decode to 25mp true monochrome (or color) and I'll likely be happy tonally. Until then I'll stick with b&w film but also will be interested in any mono camera that comes along, Leica or otherwise.

Also lensquality is a none issue. If you use for instance a Sony 7R you can choose the best lenses out there and have the best DR available. (and then you can shoot colour as well)
So why i wonder; why would one choose this Leica instead?

This ignores the feel and handling of the camera. Using a rangefinder is a whole different thing to using an SLR or EVF camera. It either appeals to you or it doesn't. If it does it most likely plays a major role in your choice of photo tools.

-Dave-

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 03:09:24 pm »

...This ignores the feel and handling of the camera. Using a rangefinder is a whole different thing to using an SLR or EVF camera. It either appeals to you or it doesn't. If it does it most likely plays a major role in your choice of photo tools.

-Dave-

This is the reason that when my wife and I go on our annual trip to London next week (to visit our daughter and granddaughter) and to France (to visit our friends) I'll this time be taking only one camera with me, my newly acquired Epson RD1 rangefinder (with five M-mount lenses).  I must say that though i own both good SLR and EVF cameras, handling the RD1 is a real difference (and pleasure).  And in 2004 (admittedly quite long ago) Sean Reid expressed considerable preference for the black-and-white photos his RD1 was rendering, one of the key reasons being its not having an infrared-blocking filter.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

JeanMichel

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 04:45:25 pm »

This ignores the feel and handling of the camera. Using a rangefinder is a whole different thing to using an SLR or EVF camera. It either appeals to you or it doesn't. If it does it most likely plays a major role in your choice of photo tools.

-Dave-
[/quote]

And that is really a most important reason why some photographers, including myself, prefer to work with a Leica rather than with a 'better', less expensive and loaded with useful features camera such as a Canon, Nikon, etc. I use a Canon 5d2 for much of my work and really find it an essential tool. My wife and partner use a Panasonic GH2 and that camera is also very useful. But it is my M9 (not the MM) that i reach for automatically for my personal, and some of my paid work. My black and white prints (up to 20 by 30 inches) from the M9 are equal or better than those from the Canon, and miles away from the ones from the GH2. The only reason that I do not have a Monocrom is budget. I looked at the Sony 7r and could be tempted, but in spite of its excellent evf I found that I dislike its non-instant return (and non-exixting) mirror an its non-existing direct view finder.

There is a thread here by Allen Bourgeois withe quite a selection of his Monocrom images.

For some reading on what Leica-friendly reviewers have written check :
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/04/leica-m-monochrome-type-246/
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/04/test-review-leica-monochrom-246/
http://www.ultrasomething.com/photography/2015/04/sensors-and-sensibility/

Jean-Michel

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 04:54:17 pm »

The main reason for not having an article yet is that none of us have the camera yet.  Send Leica a note and tell to mail me one  ;D

I could only get into the MM because of the deep pre-release discounts on the original camera.  As I said in my Cuba article, that camera has lots of user foibles related to its age.  The new one I expect will be a joy to use by comparison.

As for CMOS vs CCD, I'm dying to see it for myself.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 11:42:27 pm »

It's been said above.  We don't make product announcements on Luminous-Landscape.  There are plenty of sites for that.  What we will do is hands on reports highlighting our experiences with gear that we use and purchase.  We published an article the day before the anouncement by Nick Devlin that reported on his experiences with the now older Monchrom.  When we get our hands on the new release we will report on our experiences with it.  I am sure Nick is doing what he can to get his hands on one. 

There are some interesting things coming and we are working with some newer products on several fronts.  Michael just reported on his experience with the new Sony 35mm lens as well as the Fuji 16-35mm.  We'll be doing even further reporting on these two great lenses.  More is coming.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Krug

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:06:35 am »

Thank you Messrs Devlin and Raber for the polite and sensible responses  -  I am sure that I shall not be alone in looking forward to those future articles.
Those who do not appreciate that in some cases the pros of a rangefinder outweigh its cons and that there are some real plusses in a specifically monochrome camera are entitled to their opinions but it is reassuring to hear that LL will continue to take a broader view, thank you.

I understand that in at this stage only the beta testers will have been able to spend much time with the new iteration of the Monochrom.
I look forward to being able to add the views and impressions of the LL leaders and readers to those of Messrs Slack and Reid as, in the past, you all (or most at least) have added depth and scope to such views.
Those of us who have used the "old" monochrom for quite a long time now, and who cannot afford to rush out and buy the latest version just because it is new I am sure will value those additional views, as we have in the past, as we decide if a change is warranted by performance rather than hype - and certainly without regard to uninformed dismissal.

p.s. Not wishing to be provocative of course but I wonder if there is such a term as a "negative-fanboy" ??
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »

And in 2004 (admittedly quite long ago) Sean Reid expressed considerable preference for the black-and-white photos his RD1 was rendering, one of the key reasons being its not having an infrared-blocking filter.

I think the R-D1 does have an IR-blocking filter, but as with the Leica M8(.2) it's a weak one. And, yes, it does a nice job with b&w (and with IR too via a ~720nm low-pass filter).

-Dave-

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »

I think the R-D1 does have an IR-blocking filter, but as with the Leica M8(.2) it's a weak one. And, yes, it does a nice job with b&w (and with IR too via a ~720nm low-pass filter).

-Dave-

Dave:  Thanks for the clarification and reminding me that Reid was referencing the weakness of the IR-blocking filter in both cameras, not the fact that there were none.  A problem I have in referencing (and quoting from) Reid's (excellent) reviews is that his site's (understandable?) security feature prevents cutting and pasting (and impedes for me accurate quoting).  I was relying on my (faulty) memory in my initial reference.  Your suggestion to try an IR low-pass filter with the RD1 is intriguing.  I have several on hand which I use with my Sigma SD15 and my IR-converted NEX 5n.  Regards, Jim
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
Pages: [1]   Go Up