Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: out of gamut warning for digital printing  (Read 1609 times)

pudlofink

out of gamut warning for digital printing
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:25:26 am »

If I take note of the out of gamut warning triangle and click to select the nearest in gamut color, and do this for all the colors in my image, is this a good method to align my colors to printing to a wide format printer.
As I understand it this action is basically for four-colour process printing (CMYK inks), which is one destination for my image files. The other is as I mentioned the wide format digital printing.
using Illustrator, which functions same as Photoshop.

as a side thing, regardless of reproduction, I find that using this correction is helpful in toning down too bright colors, making them more chalky-ish and easier on the eye, so is a helpful guide to not getting too carried away and pull colors back to a reasonable saturation. There are however some images that I purposely want vivid colors because it's an effect relating to the image concept, and any dulling down is not wanted, so for these I will probably also keep a separate layer or file of the same artwork without fixing the gamut warning for display only/non-print uses.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: out of gamut warning for digital printing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 12:04:56 pm »

The OOG overlay is buggy and not accurate, ignore it. It's been discussed here often, search the archives. Let the profile do the heavy lifting here in terms of OOG mapping, soft proof toggling the rendering intents, pick the one you visually prefer. From there, you can conduct some minor output specific tweaks and move on.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pudlofink

Re: out of gamut warning for digital printing
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:30:22 am »

thanks Andrew,
Illustrator doesn't have the Overlay for whatever reason but I assume it's all the same. It has identical proof Setup and Proof Colors menu options under the View menu and the Color palette likewise warns of anything out of gamut.
Good tip with the profile which will be what I need for my own digital printing whether I do this or find a shop; I'm thinking the latter the more I read and find out, to start with at least.
if I license my file for anyone who want to do offset press printing then they could edit the colors to align to their needs or I could offer to do it. Pretty sure the gamut of the wide format machines outdoes the commercial press
Pages: [1]   Go Up