Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recursive View of Subfolders or Albums within Group  (Read 7212 times)

indusphoto

• 500px
Recursive View of Subfolders or Albums within Group
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:23:04 am »

Capture One does not show the contents of subfolder recursively either in folder or in collections. This limits the way that I can logically organize or view the images.

For example, in my folder hierarchy, I have images located by year/month/date. I would like to be able to see images for the month by selecting a month, or images for year by clicking on year.

Similarly I have projects and groups where I would like to view all images in all albums. for example I shoot at multiple locations in San Diego and Los Angeles (and other places). I have Albums of different locations (say Zoo, Theme park, etc..) and would like to group those under the city. Then I can just select the city and see all images of that city in all locations.

Unfortunately C1 does not support this kind of cumulative view. I have requested this as feature sometime back. Obviously a lone voice will not make any difference. So I am wondering if there are other people who are interested in such feature or have found an alternative method of making this work with current featureset.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: Recursive View of Subfolders or Albums within Group
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:04:05 am »

Capture One does not show the contents of subfolder recursively either in folder or in collections. This limits the way that I can logically organize or view the images.

For example, in my folder hierarchy, I have images located by year/month/date. I would like to be able to see images for the month by selecting a month, or images for year by clicking on year.

Similarly I have projects and groups where I would like to view all images in all albums. for example I shoot at multiple locations in San Diego and Los Angeles (and other places). I have Albums of different locations (say Zoo, Theme park, etc..) and would like to group those under the city. Then I can just select the city and see all images of that city in all locations.

Unfortunately C1 does not support this kind of cumulative view. I have requested this as feature sometime back. Obviously a lone voice will not make any difference. So I am wondering if there are other people who are interested in such feature or have found an alternative method of making this work with current featureset.

Hi Indus,

Capture One does actually.

A Project will show all images contained in any album within that project.

You are right that in the folders area (browsing the system) it is not cumulative.

However, its easy to see year by year or month by month in the filters tool.  Simply go to the date section and pick a year!

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »

Hi Indus,

Capture One does actually.

A Project will show all images contained in any album within that project.

David, thanks for your reply. Is there a setting to enable this view, because it didn't work for me by default. I created a project and two albums within it. Clicking on each album shows pictures contained in it, but clicking on project shows an empty browser with a message that "No images in collection".

You are right that in the folders area (browsing the system) it is not cumulative.

However, its easy to see year by year or month by month in the filters tool.  Simply go to the date section and pick a year!

This does help but there are caveats.

Firstly, the filters work on selected collection. Hence to do a global search I need to select "All images" collection in my catalog, which is 80K plus at the moment. Selecting it brings C1 to a crawl because it goes into creating previews, updating metadata, and what not.

Secondly, the date filters tries to automatically sort all images and expand the hierarchy. Two problems with that.
1. Sorting is based on EXIF data, my film scans and videos have no exif data (or incorrect exif date). So they go into year 0001 (wish I had images from then), 1969, etc..
2. A minor problem is that it automatically expands the hierarchy by month/day. Over last five years, I have had at least a 1000 days of shoots, so it requires lots of scrolling to find the right month. Is it possible to disable automatic expansion of hierarchy?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:49:26 am »

What version of Capture One and platform?

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:57 am »

C1 8.2.2 on Windows 8 64 bit
Pages: [1]   Go Up