Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: roller scuffing on ilford white film:epson 9800  (Read 4572 times)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
roller scuffing on ilford white film:epson 9800
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:06:53 pm »

Well..a couple of weeks in using my new Epson 9800 and all is going fantastically except for one problem I have encountered using Ilford Omnijet White Film Instant dry 7mil.

It is a high gloss media, like cibachrome, and when printing from the roll, it seems to be leaving a long line of scuff marks about 1" long across the whole width of the paper roll. After the paper has been cut, on the paper ready to print the next print, I can see this long line of vertical scuffs about 5"-6" in from the cut edge. It is as if the rollers are scuffing it - after the print has been made during the realignment of the paper. What do I do?? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Julie

p.tinson

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:05:42 am »

Julie
     The problem occures when the printer is ejecting the media after cutting it, the printer moves the media back and forth without any suction to hold it against the plattern this makes the media bow up and rub against the black plastic wheels.
It is only obvious on the very glossy soft medias. The way to overcome this is not to use the inbuilt cutter on this type of media.

Peter

jule

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 04:18:18 pm »

Julie
     The problem occures when the printer is ejecting the media after cutting it, the printer moves the media back and forth without any suction to hold it against the plattern this makes the media bow up and rub against the black plastic wheels.
It is only obvious on the very glossy soft medias. The way to overcome this is not to use the inbuilt cutter on this type of media.

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you so much Peter. You have saved me a great deal of concern.
Julie

jule

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:45:37 pm »

I found out what was the cause of the scuffing across the whole width of the roll. As I was pulling the paper off the roll I noticed it was scuffed along an area which had not even been near the printing rollers...so I kept pulling out about 5 feet of paper and every foot or so there was another line of 1" vertical scuff marks.

It then occured to me because of the appearance, that it looked like the ribbing of corrugated cardboard....so I looked at the box in which the Ilford paper roll came in and the cause was evident! The scuff marks were identical to the corrugations in the cardboard box the roll came it. During transit the roll must have been lying down and the weight of the roll (and anything on top of the roll) must have been enough for the ribbing on the cardboard to come through about 5 wraps of paper on the roll. Because the media is so glossy and is a white film, it is very susceptable to marking. The rest of the roll seems fine.

Peter, will still not use printer cutter in light of the delicate nature of the media.

Julie

edited typo
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:49:19 pm by jule »
Pages: [1]   Go Up