Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 45mm AF verses Phase One 45 mm D  (Read 4782 times)

Drew Harty

Mamiya 45mm AF verses Phase One 45 mm D
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:00:52 am »

Hello,

I am considering one of these two lens for use with a Leaf DM56 back.

Has anyone compared these two lens, or can any one point me to test of the Phase One 45mm D?

Thanks,

Drew Harty

spijker

• My photo website
Re: Mamiya 45mm AF verses Phase One 45 mm D
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »

I'm also curious about the comparison. The build is totally different, plastic barrel for the non-D versus metal for the D. The AF/MF switch on the D. Coatings have likely improved for the D version, but what about the glass itself; low dispersion, a-sferical, floating elements? Judging from the lens diagrams the optical formula seems identical for both versions. There's plenty of (sometimes bold) statements to be found that the D version is "much better" than the non-D but nobody seems to be a bit more specific in what respect it is better. Neither have I seen pictures comparing the two.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:56:28 pm »

Non D is pretty bad overall, nothing like the 55mm non D.

As already mentioned the optical composition is the same between the 45mm and 45mm D.  You get the clutch and a metal barrel, but guts are pretty much the same.  

I own the 45 and know it's limitations, and tried a D, after reading early reviews, but found it to be pretty much the same.  Others report vast improvements, so best case is see if you can try one from a US dealer, DT out of NY or CI,, in Atlanta.

My usage was on a P45+ which is  1:1 crop.  Its even worse on the 54 x 40 sensors. If you are going to use the 1:3 crops, (IQ140, Credo 40, IQ150) this more than likely will be a great lens.  

If you want a sharp wide, i.e. 28mm to 40mm in a Mamiya mount that will give you full coverage sharpness, you might need to consider a tech camera and Schneider or Rodnestock glass.  Sure the new 40-80mm seems excellent but at a very high price. 

Paul
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:58:27 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

wagabundo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:08 am »

I would be very happy to see comparison as well.. if anybody is able to do it.. would be great. It's ease to find test for other lenses, but 45mm D to 45mm AF.. no chance :/

siddphoto

• Siddhartha Saha Photogaphy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:16:29 pm »

So right now, I have both of these in my possession - and they are for sale.

I did a very quick unscientific test with my credo 40 (I don't have a full frame back) - you can see the results here:

Phase 45: http://1drv.ms/1D7PBDy
Mamiya 45, non-D: http://1drv.ms/1DREvpX

Wide open, the phase is slightly better. By f/8-f/11 both the mamiya and phase are similar.

If you guys would like me to test anything in particular, let's me know. I'll try to do it time permitting.

spijker

• My photo website
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:49 pm »

Thanks for the pics Sidd. That's helpfull. Did you notice any difference in autofocus performance between the Mamiya lens and the Phase One lens? Which camera do you use? I'm using the Mamiya only for B&W film so I think that the Mamiya lens will be sufficient for me.

Menno

Drew Harty

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 10:38:44 am »

I just got a Phase One 45mm in my studio and have been testing it against my Mamiya 45mm.

The Phase One did achieve optimum focus with auto focus on my Mamiya III body. My Mamiya 45m did not. (I have never been able to rely on the auto focus using AF lens in the field.)

Shooting test targets flat on a wall, I found both lens had very similar center focus from 2.8 to 11. At 2.8, 4, 5.6 the Phase One 45mm lens had worse focus in the upper right corner than the Mamiya 45mm, but it had better focus on the left center. The differences were not slight in both cases. At 11, both lens were pretty similar, though you could still see slight differences in the upper right and left center.

I was disappointed in the performance of both lens, and neither lens could match my Mamiya 55mm or 120mm for overall focus or any of my Rodenstock digital sironar lens.

Drew Harty

Drew Harty

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:25 am »

I sent an image of the test target I shot with the Phase One 45mm to Phase One technical support to see if they felt the lens sharpness could be improved. (The image was a compilation of three different positions of the frame-center, upper right, center left--shot at 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, and 11.)

Their first response was that the corners did seem soft, but a comparison test with two other 45mm lens they had in house confirmed my Phase One 45mm was within their "normal" specifications and that service would probably not be able to improve the sharpness of the lens. (I am using a Aptus 10 back which makes corner sharpness more of a challenge.)

The new Phase One 45mm focused more accurately using auto focus and has a higher quality barrel than my Mamiya 45mm AF lens, but my suggestion for anyone considering a new Phase One 45mm, at nearly 9x the cost of a used 45mm AF, is don't assume the new lens will be sharper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up