Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Anti-Reflection Picture Framing Glass  (Read 23756 times)

pearlstreet

Re: Thoughts on Anti-Reflection Picture Framing Glass
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 12:02:58 pm »

I guess it all depends on what appeals to you. I find aluminum prints to be much less attractive than a mounted print behind glass. But that's what makes the world go round! I don't quite understand selling a paper print without glass. I mean if the purchaser wants to display it that way fine, but that print just won't last unprotected - it will buckle, get dirty, etc. And it won't take 50 years for it to do that.

Thanks for this great discussion on non-reflective glass. It is much appreciated!!

Sharon

samueljohnchia

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 09:42:19 pm »

I have grown quite adverse to spraying prints. The water-based coatings may be less toxic, yet one still should never inhale the spray. I'm not a fan of Timeless spray-coated prints. And I wouldn't display that or Print Shield coated prints bare. Imagine taking a wet cloth to it to clean it from spit, sticky dust, fumes from traffic or cooking etc. Wouldn't it be great if the printer could coat the print for us! I had hopes that the new Canon LUCIA PRO Chroma Optimizer ink could be used to seal the hydrophilic coatings of aqueous inkjet papers. I don't know all the ways the envrionment can degrade the coatings or even crack and delaminate them and how long it will take or how bad it could be. Scary.

Ultimately, there is no really cheap option when it comes to anti-reflection acrylic. It will be much more expensive than Artglass WW, but the situation may force one to use it (overly large for glass or customer living in an earthquake-prone area). Custom framing where I am with "museum quality" materials is already extremely expensive, far more than what my clients pay for me to make prints for them. Then jump to Artglass WW and add another 25% to the framing cost. It is not for everyone, but for the obsessed it is a godsend. I consider AR framing glazing to provide possibly the single greatest leap in visual image quality - not being able to see virtually all the print to being able to see virtually all of it.

henrikolsen

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »

I have done quite a bit of research and digging into the subtleties of the glasses, and I delve into significantly more detail in my article I published at this link: http://cacaoeditions.com/anti-reflection-picture-framing-glass/

This valuable article is currently not available. Any ETA on when we might be lucky to access it again, or perhaps have a PDF file or similar? Thanks.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 05:31:30 pm »

This valuable article is currently not available. Any ETA on when we might be lucky to access it again, or perhaps have a PDF file or similar? Thanks.

Hi Henrikolsen,

Thanks for bringing to my attention that the site has crashed. It turns out that the hosting company's servers got hacked, and they migrated all our sites to new servers, but then my site broke in the process. It has since been restored.

In addition to the original article, I have published a follow-up which includes the new Groglass Artglass UV99 glass, the alternative to Museum Glass. I much prefer it to Museum Glass for several reasons which I detail in the new article. There is also a big comparison of most of the other anti-reflective glasses on the market, and some commentaries which may interest you and others. Here is the link to it: http://cacaoeditions.com/anti-reflection-picture-framing-glass-part-2/

henrikolsen

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:04 am »

In addition to the original article, I have published a follow-up which includes the new Groglass Artglass UV99 glass, the alternative to Museum Glass. I much prefer it to Museum Glass for several reasons which I detail in the new article. There is also a big comparison of most of the other anti-reflective glasses on the market, and some commentaries which may interest you and others. Here is the link to it: http://cacaoeditions.com/anti-reflection-picture-framing-glass-part-2/

Thanks for getting the article online again, Samuel. And kudos for the follow-up which I've just enjoyed. It's quite an observation with the "ripple-free" Tru Vue Museum Glass, which still isn't ripple-free at all. That's, IMHO, outside reasonable creative freedom of wording from their marketing department, when it's that far from the truth.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up