Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC update  (Read 2840 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Lightroom CC update
« on: April 30, 2015, 02:30:36 pm »

I had an update in my CC menu and discovered it was for Lightroom CC.  I assume it was to address some bug fixes but can’t find any documentation. 

Unfortunately didn’t fix my 2 main issues - Lightroom will crash at launch unless I hold down the option key and select a catalog  Doesn’t matter which catelog was loaded the previous time it was launched.  Also my GPU is disabled, despite identical MacBook Pros where it is working fine.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom CC update
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:33:17 pm »

I had an update in my CC menu and discovered it was for Lightroom CC.  I assume it was to address some bug fixes but can’t find any documentation. 
Neither can I. One fix is the Help menu now goes to the actually correct web page of help. It's also supposed to fix some issue with launching the product. Other than that, I can't find anything else that this dot release fixes. GPU issues are still there.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »

Unfortunately didn’t fix my 2 main issues - Lightroom will crash at launch unless I hold down the option key and select a catalog

It is supposed to fix a crash upon launch that some Mac users have experienced, so maybe report back to Adobe that you still have the problem? The second fix was to launch online help properly from the F1 key.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:39:44 pm »

It is supposed to fix a crash upon launch that some Mac users have experienced, so maybe report back to Adobe that you still have the problem? The second fix was to launch online help properly from the F1 key.
I think my crash on launch is different that the one most are reporting where the screen flashes then the program quits (doesn’t really crash, just doesn’t launch). My problem is it actually crashes at a point when typically the main window would open.

I’ve since determined there is something in my user folder at the cause of both problems,  as starting from a different user account resolves both issues.  Some startup item is doing some that LR doesn’t like.  I cannot find what it is however, so at this point I’ve decided it’s time to clean up the MacBook Pro with a fresh wipe and reinstall (not migrate) everything.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:41:06 pm »

I've heard reports of users on Mac having issues if the Application Support folder is either locked or has permissions issues.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 04:12:29 pm »

I've heard reports of users on Mac having issues if the Application Support folder is either locked or has permissions issues.
Thanks, Andrew. This led me to the solution of both problems. I had done a permissions repair, but in researching permissions in my Application Support Folder, I discovered that instead of an Adobe Folder, I had a symbolic link to an Adobe Folder in my Dropbox folder.  At one point in time I was trying to figure out a way to make sure Photoshop and Lightroom would stay in perfect sync between my desktop and laptop, and thought this might work.  Didn’t work as well as I thought so I gave up on the idea on my main computer, but never bothered fixing it on the Laptop (never caused any issues till now).

Moved the folder back into the right place and deleted the symbolic link, and working fine. This won’t add to the pool of troubleshooting tips since I probably am the only person on the planet who had it set up that way.  :-[

Hopefully the Adobe team isn’t pulling their hair out trying to figure this out from the crash reports I have submitted.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 05:42:00 pm »

I do the same thing with symbolic links. It's a drag we have to resort to this for Dropbox. So the symbolic link itself wasn't in Application Support but LR still barfed? I could see it the other way around, where the link was in that folder but the other way around?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:59:58 pm »

yeah, you would think with the cloud you could opt to sync installations including all presets, actions, filters, brushes, plugins etc.  That's what I was hoping I could do with drop box.

symbolic link was in the right place linked to the adobe folder in LR.

mmm, wondering if I made an alias instead of symbolic link - icons look the same.  I may try it tomorrow to see if maybe that was the problem, often alias don't work correctly but a symbolic link will.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 04:39:30 am »

I discovered that instead of an Adobe Folder, I had a symbolic link to an Adobe Folder in my Dropbox folder ...

Moved the folder back into the right place and deleted the symbolic link, and working fine. This won’t add to the pool of troubleshooting tips since I probably am the only person on the planet who had it set up that way.  :-[

Wayne,

Try doing it the other way round.

I find the best way to persuade Dropbox to sync folders which can't be placed in the Dropbox folder is to leave the folder where it is and put the symlink to it in the Dropbox folder. It works pretty well (unless the folder itself contains symlinks, but that's another story). You have to be a little careful to make sure that the symlinks are created on both machines while Dropbox is paused. I use this method to keep my Lightroom support folder synchronised between my desktop and laptop and it works well.

Dropbox can cope with symlinks; some other programs, as you're finding, can't.

Jeremy

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »

Wayne,

Try doing it the other way round.

I find the best way to persuade Dropbox to sync folders which can't be placed in the Dropbox folder is to leave the folder where it is and put the symlink to it in the Dropbox folder. It works pretty well (unless the folder itself contains symlinks, but that's another story). You have to be a little careful to make sure that the symlinks are created on both machines while Dropbox is paused. I use this method to keep my Lightroom support folder synchronised between my desktop and laptop and it works well.

Dropbox can cope with symlinks; some other programs, as you're finding, can't.

Jeremy
I’m not sure what this would accomplish.  Dropbox wouldn’t actually have any data just a symlink, so I can’t see how my other computer would have access to the actual files. the dropbox symlink wouldn’t link to anything on my other computer.  My goal was to have both my home MacPro and my MacBook Pro basically use the “same” Adobe folder from inside the Application Support folder, I do this for quite a few programs.  

Seemed to work until LR CC, which had those two errors. Haven’t tried it again to see if was a alias vs symlink problem yet. just tried it, and it definitely doesn’t work.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:08:16 pm by Wayne Fox »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:17:38 pm »

I’m not sure what this would accomplish.  Dropbox wouldn’t actually have any data just a symlink, so I can’t see how my other computer would have access to the actual files. the dropbox symlink wouldn’t link to anything on my other computer.
It should work, that's how I'm doing it with, but not with LR's files. That's why I wrote: So the symbolic link itself wasn't in Application Support but LR still barfed? I could see it the other way around, where the link was in that folder but the other way around?
Unless I'm wrong, the beauty of a symbolic link unlike an alias is that you can place it in either area and the data still populates each.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »

I’m not sure what this would accomplish.  Dropbox wouldn’t actually have any data just a symlink,

That's true for aliases, but it's not true for symlinks. Dropbox doesn't understand them, so it treats them as folders.

so I can’t see how my other computer would have access to the actual files. the dropbox symlink wouldn’t link to anything on my other computer.  My goal was to have both my home MacPro and my MacBook Pro basically use the “same” Adobe folder from inside the Application Support folder, I do this for quite a few programs.  

Seemed to work until LR CC, which had those two errors. Haven’t tried it again to see if was a alias vs symlink problem yet. just tried it, and it definitely doesn’t work.

All I can say is that it works for me. I sync several folders in this way. How are you creating your symlink?

So for LR, on each machine, I have a symlink in my Dropbox folder which points at the LR Application support folder on that machine. It works a treat. You need to ensure that Dropbox is paused as you create the symlinks on each computer, or you'll end up with a copy of the LR folder in your Dropbox folder on the second machine to be set up. Once the pair of symlinks is created, resume Dropbox on both machines and it will keep your two LR Application support folders in sync.

Jeremy

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »

Very cool ... I didn’t realize dropbox worked that way with symlinks.  I assumed it just copied the actual 25k symlink file.  I’ve researched how to sync folders that are outside of the dropbox folder and never found a way to make this work, but appears this is how to do it.

Thanks :)  I’ll see if this accomplishes my original goal - can’t imagine why it wouldn’t.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 04:25:44 am »

Very cool ... I didn’t realize dropbox worked that way with symlinks.  I assumed it just copied the actual 25k symlink file.  I’ve researched how to sync folders that are outside of the dropbox folder and never found a way to make this work, but appears this is how to do it.

Thanks :)  I’ll see if this accomplishes my original goal - can’t imagine why it wouldn’t.

Nor can I. If I can help, let me know.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up