Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LRCC "slower" than LR5  (Read 7176 times)

Rand47

LRCC "slower" than LR5
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:56:53 am »

Hi All,

I know LRCC is supposed to be faster than 5, but on my machine (W7 Pro, I7 IvyBridge, 32 gig RAM, main and scratch disk SSD, video card supporting its use by LR) the image loading is glacial compared to LR5.  A friend of mine from the Netherlands (a studio professional) is experiencing the same thing on his MacBook Pro.  Every other aspect of performance is about the same, but loading and then zooming into an image is WAY SLOW.   Any others? 

LR5 was super smooth and very quick doing "everything" on my machine.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Simon Garrett

Re: LRCC "slower" than LR5
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:04:32 am »

Hi All,

I know LRCC is supposed to be faster than 5, but on my machine (W7 Pro, I7 IvyBridge, 32 gig RAM, main and scratch disk SSD, video card supporting its use by LR) the image loading is glacial compared to LR5.  A friend of mine from the Netherlands (a studio professional) is experiencing the same thing on his MacBook Pro.  Every other aspect of performance is about the same, but loading and then zooming into an image is WAY SLOW.   Any others? 

LR5 was super smooth and very quick doing "everything" on my machine.

Rand

Just in develop module?  If so try turning off GPU use: Edit > Preferences > Performance > uncheck "Use Graphics Processor".  I seem to recall zooming in is one of the slower GPU functions with older GPUs. 

See what Eric Chan says at https://forums.adobe.com/message/7480830#7480830.

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:08:00 pm »

Just in develop module?  If so try turning off GPU use: Edit > Preferences > Performance > uncheck "Use Graphics Processor".  I seem to recall zooming in is one of the slower GPU functions with older GPUs. 

See what Eric Chan says at https://forums.adobe.com/message/7480830#7480830.

Simon,

Many thanks! Eric's explanation fits what I'm observing exactly.  Turned off GPU and it is "back to normal."  I'm only using NEC PA271W at this point, so no benefit from GPU w/ sliders that I can tell.  I may talk to my computer person about a more powerful video card.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Rand
Rand Scott Adams

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:48:53 pm »

Same here. Unchecked the GPU and back to normal.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »

Not only faster but I'm seeing an issue with images loading in Develop at 1:1 with GPU on. The image initially shows the incorrect color, then updates a split second later to the correct color. Very obvious on saturated oranges and red colors. With GPU off, just one correct color as the preview updates. GPU on, two color previews.

There's a 6.0.1 update, that didn't have any affect here.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:07:56 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:07:09 pm »

Somehow Adobe seems not to be able ( since a long time) to implement the GPU force correctly.
It is a pity for the benefits may be huge especially with the latest computers/laptops.
Is there some information what systems (-videocards) are supported?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

I don't find any speed differences between the last LR5 iteration and LR6 (perpetual license).  What I have noticed is, that when adjusting curves, LR6 feels a bit snappier (for lack of better description).  I've not yet worked in all modules but the library and develop modules seem as quick/slow as with LR5.

Spinning beachball at times, but I've come to accept that.  After all, my iMac isn't really current or maxed out for performance:  3.2 GHz, i3, 8 GB RAM, 1067 MHz, DDR3.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 04:49:09 am »

Not only faster but I'm seeing an issue with images loading in Develop at 1:1 with GPU on. The image initially shows the incorrect color, then updates a split second later to the correct color. Very obvious on saturated oranges and red colors. With GPU off, just one correct color as the preview updates. GPU on, two color previews.

I've seen this as well. I've also seen flashes of colour when adjusting images I've converted to B&W in LR. It's a minor irritation, though.

Jeremy

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 11:36:56 am »

Mid 2011 iMac quad core i5 with 16 GB RAM and Mac OS 10.10.3

At first I thought I saw improvement with GPU on.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Using the brush adjustment can be just as slow at times as Lr 5.  It appears to worsen if you're in a long session of adjusting a number of images (25-50).  Periodically, just like Lr 5 I just quit and restart Lr CC.

I'm getting the impression that this release isn't fully baked and maybe by the time they update it 2-3 times it will smooth out.
Regards,
Ron

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »

I'm getting the impression that this release isn't fully baked and maybe by the time they update it 2-3 times it will smooth out.

That seems to be standard operating procedure with LR. Have had some terrible experiences with new LR versions. This time around, pretty positive. However, there sometimes seems to be quite a bit of lag when selecting images to view/edit, which is rather annoying. Other than that, overall, it seems a bit snappier and I haven't yet experienced any major bugs.

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:41:35 pm »

Yes slower.  In fact an actual lag when using an adjustment brush in Develop module.

Mark

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 05:44:45 am »

A German IT magazine just made some more elaborated testing on whether LR CC is faster than previous versions. Even though the article is in German, the table at the end of the article is readable for everyone though. The final outcome: LR CC is very much slower in some disciplines! Same procedure as with every new major release!

On the last page of the article http://www.heise.de/foto/artikel/Nachgemessen-GPU-Beschleunigung-in-Lightroom-6-und-Lightroom-CC-2626770.html?seite=9 there is the table named above.

Translations:
  • LR CC (mit GPU) = LR CC (with GPU)
  • LR CC (ohne GPU) = LR CC (without GPU)
  • 1:1 Vorschauen rendern: Bibliotheksansicht = Rendering of 1:1 previews in Library module
  • 1:1 Vorschauen rendern: Entwickeln Modul = Rendering of 1:1 previews in Develop module

Kind regards

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »

I've found that, at least in my experience with several different graphic cards, most 2D programs seem to have virtually no benefit from GPU processing, and in fact often are slower. I first noticed this with OnOne Software when they changed Genuine Fractals to Perfect ReSize, which used the GPU rather than the CPU. It was glacial when rendering screen previews of anything. By the same token, Alien Skin's BlowUp 3, which seems to use the CPU, is almost instantaneous in it's rendering.

Other than a few goodies, such as "smooth zooming" in Photoshop, I haven't really seen any advantage to GPU use. It seems Lightroom CC is following this pattern of marginal benefits. Perhaps someone far more versed than I can see and explain the benefits, but to me it's a waste of time.

Nemo

dbritch

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:03:09 am »

GPU acceleration has great potential.  In the past 5 years or so, GPUs have been widely used for non-graphics-related purposes.  They are extremely useful for accelerating algorithms which are parallel, and not inherently serial.  When I heard that LR was finally using GPU acceleration, I was excited.  Unfortunately, Adobe is apparently only using OpenGL for rendering - the final stage of processing.  I had hoped that they were using a modern parallel development model, maybe using OpenCL (which is a pain, but can give excellent, portable results), OpenACC (which is easy to use, but has limited support), CUDA (an excellent programming environment, but limited to Nvidia graphics cards), or OpenMP 4.0 (which seems to be the emerging standard - basically easy to use, and increasingly available).

FredT

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »

On a retina iMac, the benefits of using the GPU are enormous. Most of the develop module adjustments go from being just barely tolerable to buttery smooth with the GPU on.  It's unfortunate that we have the preview problem when loading images, but hopefully that can be fixed with an update.

MBMPhotography

• Blog and beyond on G+
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 09:58:19 am »

Unfortunately at least on my travel machine Asus X93SV with 12GB memory and Win 7 64bit LR CC i smuch much much slower than ever the LR 5 was. The GPU on or off it changes almost nothung. It became sluggish. Very disappointed :( and believe I was always a big fan of Lightroom as I use it since the version 1
Sony A7rIII, A6500,

Simon Garrett

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 10:24:54 am »

On a few quick tests when LR 6/CC was first installed, image re-rendering in Develop Module after adjusting sliders seemed rather quicker than LR5. 

However, I was processing a few images yesterday with extensive adjustment brushing, and as I did more and more brushing it went from OK to sluggish to glacial.  On occasions it would miss brush strokes or put them in the wrong place, and sometimes it would hang unresponsively for a minute or more.  In fact, on two occasions it hung until I killed it - once for 15 or 20 minutes while I went for a cup of coffee.  Fortunately it hadn't lost any editing, but LR6 on my machine (W7 64-bit, i7-930, 12G memory, fast SSD drive C) is almost unusable for large complex areas of brushing.   

Pity.  I was hoping that LR6 would be all good news in terms of performance. 

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:59 pm »

Well, when I first upgraded to Lightroom CC from Lightroom 5 everything seem to run fairly fast. However now it is gone the other way. It is extremely slow. Each time I open LR CC up it takes an extremely long time for thumbnails to render. This is even though at import I use 1 to 1. If I am in the Library and try to open an image in Develop Mode it takes anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. Also I am constantly getting the spinning ball.  I am currently using a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB. Library is stored on a Drobo 5D Thunderbolt Drive. It has 5 3TB 7200rpm drives along with a 128GB mSATA Card. Have tried setting with "Use Graphics Processor" and without and have the same results.

In the mean time I have been trying out Capture One Pro 8.2. Have it setup on a WD Thunderbolt external drive. All I can say is what a deference in performance. Thumbnails appear extremely fast and I never get the spinning ball.

Maybe all the performance issues is the fact that I am using a Drobo 5D for LR CC.

Stu

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 08:44:30 pm »

These reports of sluggish behaviour over time on some systems whether GPU usage enabled or not remind of what I think was called "memory leakages" if I recall correctly it was where inefficient programming was not properly freeing ram that the processes had finished using so less and less memory became available.  But the last I read of this sort of thing was years ago in win95 and 98 and older.

I have yet to go lr6 but do hope they get this sorted asap :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 08:47:11 am »

I am running a older nvidia GX470 on my machine.  I have noticed the issue where the colors blink for a sec as you zoom in or out.  I also see this during the adjustment brush when it you turn on or off the check box to show the effected areas.   

Where I had hoped to see a bigger improvement was the zoom in and out to 100% with the D810,D800 files.  On my PC, with the GPU turned on, the images seem to load faster and the zoom to 100% is noticeable faster.  So for now I am leaving the GPU on for this advantage in speed.  When turned off the time to zoom to 100% and or move around an image that is zoomed to 100% is much slower.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up