Would any of you who are smarter than me using Argyll and DCamProf on a Mac be willing to help me out with it, or point me in the right direction? I'm not at all scared of command-line utilities but I feel like I have no idea how to even get these to compile correctly. I was able to get Argyll to run the scanin command based on the instructions I found here (and after moving the chart reference files to the bin folder):http://www.trumpetpower.com/photos/Exposure#Normalizing_exposure
But that's about it. DCamProf's instructions say "It should also be relatively easy to build on Mac OS X". I have no idea what to do with that information :/ All I want to do is generate a profile that's roughly as accurate as what the X-rite software can create for use in ACR but one that I can use in Capture One instead (so, ICC right?). I don't need to build a custom target or anything crazy (yet) just the most basic of camera calibrations.
I've been in the same boat recently. Over on the Capture One forum they started a thread about C1's colors and using dcamprof for C1. I tried for the first time to use dcamprof (never heard of it before) to make a profile for C1 to be used with a Sony NEX-6. Fortunately, there is spectral data for a Nex-5 so I don't need a test target (I don't have any equipment to measure colors). My first attempts were quite promising and improved the C1 colors a lot. Unlike what you read in many forums the C1 colors for Sony are actually pretty bad. Everything's got a red/brown tint so much so that I don't like to use it. The colors from the out of camera jpegs are much better and closer to reality. I am not alone with this. See the thread at the C1 forum here: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20609&sid=1f4cb522e0e7f561246906b1061f1fa4
I asked questions there concerning dcamprof as this other 40+ page thread here in the forum and the instructions are simply inpenetrable for a newbee.
Now the bad thing is I can't get the profile I made work with real images. The colors are much better than anything C1 otherwise produces but the brightest parts get a red tint. Also the colors shift if I change brightness in C1. Has anyone any ideas what might have happened? This is the list of commands I used:dcamprof make-target -c nex5.json -p cc24 target.ti3
dcamprof make-target -X -f linear_DSC04159_C11.tif -p target.ti3 new-target.ti3
dcamprof make-profile -c nex5.json new-target.ti3 profile.json
dcamprof tiff-tf -f linear_DSC04159_C11.tif auto_DSC04159_C11.tif tone-curve.json
dcamprof make-icc -n 'nex5' -f auto_DSC04159_C11.tif -t tone-curve.json profile.json prelim-profile.icm
cp prelim-profile.icm /c/Users/michael/AppData/Local/CaptureOne/Color\ Profiles/
The tif files I used are from some random picture I took and exported from C1 as 16bit tiff, with embedded camera profile, the "no color correction" profile in C1 and with either linear or automatic tone curve (as indicated in the names above).
I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what I did wrong. If desired I could show examples or more verbose reports.
I'd really like to get correct colors from C1.
And considering building dcamprof: I use Windows with cygwin. There it is quite straightforward. You need to have libcms2 installed via cygwin's setup.exe first. Then you unpack the dcamporf source and remove -fopenmp
in the Makefile just as the instructions say. Then simply make
and you are done. Leaves a dcamprof.exe in the build directory. Move to /usr/local/bin/ or anything in your path, just standard Unix stuff.