Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: tim wolcott on December 09, 2009, 04:09:45 PM

Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on December 09, 2009, 04:09:45 PM
Long time awaited.  for those who have traveled with me Antarctica.  Here finally my images salvaged off my drive that was having some severe problems in Antarctica.  Not all finished yet but most.  But I didn't lose any, when the hard drive started to go.  

The last image was shot as a triple stitch hand held from Zodiac using Hyper-focal-distance.  

http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com/ (http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com/)  Check the rest out.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 09, 2009, 05:06:43 PM
Love the fourth one especially.

Eric

Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tokengirl on December 09, 2009, 05:15:14 PM
I looked at the entire collection, awesome sights!  I like your view of the simple landscape and use of shape.  Will you be doing any B&W with this collection?
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on December 09, 2009, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: tokengirl
I looked at the entire collection, awesome sights!  I like your view of the simple landscape and use of shape.  Will you be doing any B&W with this collection?
Yes, I want to do some.  They were all shot with the Phase 45.  So there is plenty of info.  Just need to finish all the color then do some B&W.  They should look very impressive, the rays of light should show up better in B&W than in color.  Tim
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: Vautour on December 09, 2009, 05:40:39 PM
The first and the fourth image are my favourites. The first one reminds me of a sinking Viking ship .

Marvelous colours.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: Josh-H on December 09, 2009, 05:58:15 PM
Tim, You have some beautiful images there.  Lovely.

Antarctica is spectacular to say the least.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: EduPerez on December 11, 2009, 04:00:03 AM
I just love them all; the colors, the textures, the mood, ..., simply amazing.

But "...triple stitch hand held from Zodiac...", you have impressed me now.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: francois on December 11, 2009, 05:25:25 AM
The fourth is the one I love most but all your photos are outstanding.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: BlasR on December 11, 2009, 07:26:20 AM
I love the # 6.  I love all but # 6 is my favor,

Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on December 11, 2009, 11:40:15 AM
Quote from: EduPerez
I just love them all; the colors, the textures, the mood, ..., simply amazing.

But "...triple stitch hand held from Zodiac...", you have impressed me now.
If you are in a situation where you can use Hyper-focal-distance.  In this case I had a superwide 35mm lens on a Phase p45 camera, I only needed 20 feet to infinity in focus which I gained shutter speed by 2 stops there and then since the iceberg really didn't have true black I pushed my exposure down towards the blacks.  So really I underexposed the white by 2 stops gaining some more shutter speed.  So I was able to push my shutter speed up 4 stops from 1/15th sec to 1/220 sec shot at f8.  

I shot 3 sets of 3 images each, to make sure I had redundancy of the shoot since there was only one chance to shoot this.  I shot each image on the bottom of the wave.

People put to much emphasize on shooting on the high spectrum.  Would be happy to share any stitching tech with you.  I am helping design a new stitching head right now, and will be doing a video on how best to create great stitching images.

All the images except one were shot from a zodiac.   Glad you like it.  Tim

http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com/ (http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com/)
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: wolfnowl on December 11, 2009, 03:55:24 PM
Beautiful work, Tim.  Thanks for sharing them.

Mike.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: Rusty Jackson on December 29, 2009, 03:45:42 PM
#2 on Peterman Island is my fav.... great eye you have Tim.

Cheers, Rusty
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 30, 2009, 03:48:22 AM
Very nice photos. My favourite is number 6. I like the curved dynamic lines of the ice entering the frame from the top.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on January 08, 2010, 12:45:59 AM
Rusty do you remember laying down on the rocks sick as a dying dog.  I remember shooting this as a panorama and then stitched it.  The hard part other than trying not to throw up at the time of me shooting was to stitch a scene that had waves and waiting for the right set to shoot. The hard part is to have a set that won't screw up the stitch pattern.  But let me know where you are going next and let's go shooting sometime.

I still would go back even though the seas and waves made me so sick.  Anyway lets chat and see if we can go out shooting. Hope life finds you well. Tim

Quote from: Rusty Jackson
#2 on Peterman Island is my fav.... great eye you have Tim.

Cheers, Rusty
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: Rusty Jackson on January 08, 2010, 11:21:10 AM
Quote from: tim wolcott
Rusty do you remember laying down on the rocks sick as a dying dog.

[attachment=19277:tim_gett...oop_shot.jpg]

this one?

I'll call you this weekend.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on January 08, 2010, 01:14:24 PM
Thanks for the photo.  But the one I shot on Petermen Island was the one where I thought I was going to be buried there.  Look forward to talking to you.  Tim



Quote from: Rusty Jackson
[attachment=19277:tim_gett...oop_shot.jpg]

this one?

I'll call you this weekend.
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: DanielStone on January 08, 2010, 06:22:35 PM
ahh..... the funky "Hard drive won't work in adverse conditions" problem.

another reason to switch to shooting film  

very nice photographs though Tim!

-Dan
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on January 08, 2010, 09:21:37 PM
Never ever will I shoot film again.  Did I say never?
Actually the P45 Phase One worked great no problems there.  The Apple had a issue.  But anything is better than scanning film and then haveing to clean it.  I guess not to mention shooting with only barely over 6 stops of light with film. Thanks Daniel  Tim

 
Quote from: DanielStone
ahh..... the funky "Hard drive won't work in adverse conditions" problem.

another reason to switch to shooting film  

very nice photographs though Tim!

-Dan
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: JamiePeters on January 14, 2010, 12:35:23 AM
I love them all must have been exciting to see this up close.  What a beautiful job you did with that shoot.  I see on Nature's Best you won the contest and are now on display at the Smithsonian.  Great job.  JP

Quote from: tim wolcott
Never ever will I shoot film again.  Did I say never?
Actually the P45 Phase One worked great no problems there.  The Apple had a issue.  But anything is better than scanning film and then haveing to clean it.  I guess not to mention shooting with only barely over 6 stops of light with film. Thanks Daniel  Tim
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: loonsailor on January 30, 2010, 12:06:54 PM
Beautiful work, but I find the color balance, like the pink sky, distracting.  The light in Antarctica is so unusual.  Did you shoot a gray target to use for WB?  If not, you could try to find a neutral point to balance to, though that can be very hard in images like this.

My favorite is image #5, where the composition is so strong that it doesn't need the strange colors to excel, followed closely by #4.  I think I would like #1 with a different processing treatment but, again, the color on this one detracts for me.

I've got a bunch of Antarctica stuff, at http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica-08 (http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica-08) and http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica (http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica).
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: tim wolcott on February 04, 2010, 12:38:55 AM
You answered your own question, yes the lighting is unusual there and sunsets also can be used to make unusual funky skies which I used to my advantage so the icebergs would separate from the skies.  If I had shot the #1, right when I saw it, the sky would have been the same color as the berg.  By the #1 one the Smithsonian photographic competition and all of them have been exhibited in many galleries around the world.  

I will take your response as a problem with emails, that you can't have a real discussion with emotions and come to a conclusion.  Because, if you had checked my background of what I have invented in photography and what I have done in photography you wouldn't have ask a question like that.  I don't mean that to sound ego driven but I have worked very hard to get where I am.  Tim






Quote from: loonsailor
Beautiful work, but I find the color balance, like the pink sky, distracting.  The light in Antarctica is so unusual.  Did you shoot a gray target to use for WB?  If not, you could try to find a neutral point to balance to, though that can be very hard in images like this.

My favorite is image #5, where the composition is so strong that it doesn't need the strange colors to excel, followed closely by #4.  I think I would like #1 with a different processing treatment but, again, the color on this one detracts for me.

I've got a bunch of Antarctica stuff, at http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica-08 (http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica-08) and http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica (http://jfiddler.smugmug.com/Antarctica).
Title: Antarctica photographs resurrected
Post by: eleanorbrown on February 04, 2010, 04:59:13 PM
Having made a trip to antarctica in 2009 I can say that images from this incredible place are subject to wide interpretation...some more artistic, some realistic...it's really an individual thing as is the viewers response...all valid.  In some of my images I chose to alter the saturation a bit and found that this was objectionable to some viewers, other liked the result. and so it goes..... Eleanor