Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: yasinclair on May 31, 2009, 04:46:47 PM

Title: Book Competitons
Post by: yasinclair on May 31, 2009, 04:46:47 PM
Hi
I'm looking for competitions to enter my book. I've little idea where to start. Any ideas?
You can get an idea of my work here:
Visit My Website (http://rabbisinclair.com)
Title: Book Competitons
Post by: MichaelAlanBielat on June 01, 2009, 08:48:31 AM
Quote from: yasinclair
Hi
I'm looking for competitions to enter my book. I've little idea where to start. Any ideas?
You can get an idea of my work here:
Visit My Website (http://rabbisinclair.com)


I don't know of any general book competitions but I do know that certain book publishers (Asuka Book, Blurb, etc.) do have competitions but I think they are limited in the fact that you need to make your book through them. That is the catch and is a bummer...

You brought up a really cool idea though. I don't know of any real competition where you can enter a body of work in a book format. I think you are onto something there!
Title: Book Competitons
Post by: russell a on June 01, 2009, 06:56:31 PM
Sadly, if someone were to decide there is enough interest, there would be a contest, subsidized and then some by the entrants' fees, submitted to an arbitrary panel of judges, and result in essentially nothing.  It would be the same pattern as all the other vanity venues out there.  

Ah, you're the fellow who had the book done by the Focus Magazine folks, right?
Title: Book Competitons
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 01, 2009, 09:36:28 PM
Photo District News magazine (PDN) has a Photo Books category in their annual photo competition. Check out their 2009 winners here (http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/contests/e3ibb9b7bb2eb298a66249639a45eff4d7b). And pay no attention to sour-grape comments... your book is beautiful and certainly deserves to compete and win.


Title: Book Competitons
Post by: russell a on June 02, 2009, 02:36:11 AM
Quote from: slobodan56
Photo District News magazine (PDN) has a Photo Books category in their annual photo competition. Check out their 2009 winners here (http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/contests/e3ibb9b7bb2eb298a66249639a45eff4d7b). And pay no attention to sour-grape comments... your book is beautiful and certainly deserves to compete and win.

My comments have nothing to do with the merits of the book in question.  Sour grapes? I don't think so, just a caution in the grand, albeit outnumbered, tradition.  Try this article in Bill Jay's archive: http://www.billjayonphotography.com/HowtobeFamousSortOf.pdf (http://www.billjayonphotography.com/HowtobeFamousSortOf.pdf)
Title: Book Competitons
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 02, 2009, 02:01:39 PM
Quote from: russell a
My comments have nothing to do with the merits of the book in question...
Indeed... nor with the OP's question. You did volunteer, however, your animosity toward competitions and a psychiatric evaluation of the OP's intentions ("vanity venues" remark).